Bullards Anchor Brewery Coslany

Bullards’ Anchor Brewery was founded in premises on Westwick Street in 1837 by Richard Bullard. Over the following years the business prospered and by the end of the century it occupied a seven-acre site. Over the same period the brewery built an extensive tied estate, largely through taking over smaller breweries not for their brewing capacity, in fact after the acquisition the brewery would often be closed, but for their tied houses. By 1914 the company’s estate included a massive 133 premises in Norwich. In 1958 they took over their Norwich rivals Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs and subsequently in 1961 they joined with Steward & Patteson to take over Morgans. At this time their position must have seemed unassailable but the two victorious chairmen made a huge mistake. They wanted Morgans’ tied houses not their brewery which they sold on to Watney Mann. As part of the deal it was agreed that Watneys could sell their brews, which included very popular keg beers, in Steward & Patteson and Bullards pubs. Soon Watneys were outselling the local brews at the same time they started to purchase Bullards’ shares and by 1963 they took over the Norwich firm. In 1966 brewing ceased at the Anchor brewery. In 1972 the site was sold to a property developed and it is now the site of the appropriately named ‘Anchor Quay’ residential development.
brewery coopers